Pages

Powered By Blogger

Come along for the ride!

Welcome!

Hopefully my blog will capture the good (if any)and bad in modern day travel.

I travel for work in the USA so most posts will be about domestic travel.

I hope you find this helpful when making thoughtful travel plans.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Difficulties in Durango

A lot of my flights have been short recently and/or don't have internet available. My last flight last week had internet and I had 2 laptops but funnily enough both were dead. Guess that's what happens when you let someone borrow a charger and then spend the next two days unsuccessfully juggling one charger for 2 laptops when you are never really around your computer because you are too busy putting in face time and putting out fires.

So, here's the story of a day trip to Durango CO.

Normally, whenever I travel, I carry around some basic necessities like toiletries, toothpaste and toothbrush as well as a change of underwear. Sometimes I feel like a major tramp if my bag is open in public as it seems that my comfy cotton pink panties are flashing a neon sign saying I'm easy and cheap even though it would take Psych or House to notice them.
Anyway, normally I'm traveling across country where anything can happen, many delays, spills in lap, bad airport food, etc. Is that a nice enough way to say that shit happens, sometimes literally?
Since I have 2 home bases really I don't need to pack much in clothing. Sometimes I carry 1 change of clothing with me too, but always the underwear.

Well, this day was special. I, along with 2 co-workers, were going from Denver to Durango just for the day to make a presentation. The agenda was like this: leave hotel in Englewood at 630am to make an 8:15am flight. Flight to be 1 hr long. Goal: not to sit with my coworkers at all as the hour apart would be most welcome and be able to look out window to see the rockies. After landing, our host was to pick us up and drive us around the scenic way until we got to our destination of fire station where we'd do our presentation. Afterwards, work with team, then take another scenic drive and get back to airport by 4pm for the 5pm flight.

As it always happens, within 15 mins of arriving at the airport we learn that Denver is having a really bad and weird storm and flights are delayed. At first the flight was delayed in departure till 6:15. So, the team and I think, ok, we can go to the cafe, grab a beer and get some work done for an hour and a half. So we do and they actually have a good beer on tap brewed in Durango so all is well.
Then we hear at 5:45 that the flight is delayed again till 7:15 due to tornadoes and hail storm in Den. So, ok, what's another 1 hr delay right?

So, now at this point I've been in a car or room with my co-workers since 6:30. It is now hitting the 12 hr mark, but I only have 1 hour more to go, then I get the delicious alone-ness of the plane. So, I escape for a bit outside to see some more pretty scenery no matter how sparse it is, it is better than inside.

My savvy reader you can probably see where this is going. The cafe kicks us out at 6:30 stating that they were supposed to close at 6pm even though the airport is packed with people all in the same boat, increased revenue from this be damned, they are going home. Then the flight gets delayed till 8:30. We are now roaming the hallways and looking at the candy machines thinking "thank god I ate, even if it was tacos and chili" (tasted good but yep, as scary as it sounds on the other end) at least I'm not reduced to fritos and snickers bars. "

Well, it wasn't all bad. Durango is beautiful! Even if I did spend most of my time at the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment