Pages

Powered By Blogger

Come along for the ride!

Welcome!

Hopefully my blog will capture the good (if any)and bad in modern day travel.

I travel for work in the USA so most posts will be about domestic travel.

I hope you find this helpful when making thoughtful travel plans.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 13th Air Tran flight from ATL to DEN

Wow. I can't believe that I haven't blogged in such a long time. Here's why:

Week of 5/17: can't remember that far back

Week of 5/24: Really busy week including trip to Durango CO which I'll blog about separately.

Week of 5/31: Memorial Day: This day began a multi-week trip. Shouldn't have to travel on the holiday but it was better for me since the Thursday I would normally come home instead I went to SLC. Spent 6/3 night thru morning of 6/7 in SLC with my bestest family friends in the whole world. Wow what a weekend that was. I could write and write about the family, the graduation, the bbq party, the birthday party, how I am not meant to handle 7 kids aged 5-23 and a visiting grandma and great-grandma, how it took all of my patience and how it probably added 5 years of wrinkles due to lack of sleep, but instead I'll focus on something seeming miniscule but more appropriate to this theme.

Two people in SLC asked me this question when they heard about my job: "I bet you are being paid a ton of money for this job, right?"
This was not a hypothetical question.
They waited for replies.

Dear reader, what on earth should one say to that?

No one ever prepped me for this. Humility would say to answer yes as by most standards I am. It certainly is the most I've ever made in my life. But, seriously, really, you ask a total stranger that? In the company of other friends and acquaintances? Really? Do you ask people their age and how much they weigh? Do you ask them about politics and religion too when you first meet them?

Ok, now one was a child and no one expects an 11 year old to know exactly what is appropriate and proper, but the other was a 30+ year old!

I am used to a lot of people saying things like how I can give them my Frequent Flyer miles and even some questions about how my husband and I are doing dealing with this job, but straight up "do you make a lot?" just threw me. (this pic was not taken while on said trip to UT but I thought the face fit. LOL)

Is it me? Am I the only one censoring myself? Is it people in SLC? Are they going to say I should donate or tithe to the LDS church? Are they just not taught what is appropriate?

Well, I am now sure that I will be asked again by someone and I want to be prepared. I am very direct and truthful in general. I do want to say that I am paid well but not be boasting, nor do I want to be dis-honest, but most of all I want a way to put an end to the discussion tactfully. I need the ability to make the person feel like it is not right to ask that but I'm not mad at them or anything, just skillfully side stepping the question.

Dear readers, do not make me write to a women's magazine about this, but I do know it is that type of question. I just did a quick but limited Google search on this and I found a lot of "how to ask the right questions" and "what to say in a job interview" or "how to answer what is your salary requirement" type questions. That is the closest but as you can see not what I need.

So, any thoughts welcome.

5 comments:

  1. "Yes, but it's a metric ton."

    "Not quite a ton, but definitely a buttload."

    "Maybe, but my reward is in Heaven. Do you know that Jesus Christ loves you and died for your sins? Can I show you this literature on {insert church here}, which describes how you too can be saved for just 72 convenient monthly payments of just pennies a day?"

    "I'm not being paid at all; I took the job because I love to travel.. I love the feeling of the wind beneath my wings.. {break into song at this point}"

    "Yes, but all the money is going to pay off my enormous gambling debt, well, whatever is left over from continually bailing my brother out of jail.. he can be so protective of me.. so I make sure he's always around in case I need someone to take care of a nosey stranger.."

    "Oh, you don't know the half of it. In fact I just made the first payment on my condo in Beverly Hills.. I split my vacation time between there and my villa on the riviera"

    "Did you really just ask me how much money I make?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Simon's 3rd response for you. I think you should carry around at least 15 church brochures for any time this happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, speechless. I'm really don't know what to say other than I do not believe this was either a geographical or religious driving force. A kid is curious. The adult...not sure. Not thinking? Uncultured? Me tired? Sorry it went there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all! I think I prefer the gambling debt scenario of those listed. It made me think of this one: "Well, truthfully, yes and I need to because my husband is a kept man. I don't let him go out and do anything unless it is pre-approved, 3 days in advance, in writing, detailing all his will do, with whom, how much he intends to spend (of course he only gets $40 a week normally but once I did give him $100 when his Mum was in town. He mostly just stays at home cleaning, cooking, watching his 'stories' and eating bonbons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. correction: "detailing all he will do..."

    Also Karrie, I know it really had nothing to do with Utah people, but that was the only commonality between the child (you KNOW who it is!) and the adult and I just exploited that commonality for my piece. ;-)

    ReplyDelete